British American Tobacco Plc. (BAT) is the world’s second largest tobacco company. It’s HQ is in London and it operates globally with a very strong presence in more than 50 countries. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and also the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
BAT History, Mergers and Acquisitions
BAT was formed in 1902 when Britain’s Imperial Tobacco Company and the US’ American Tobacco Company decided to work together to aid expansion into new markets. Both Imperial Tobacco and American Tobacco continued to operate with the UK and US markets independently. American Tobacco soon sold out leaving Imperial Tobacco as the only major shareholder. In 1980 Imperial Tobacco sold the last of its shares and at this time the company was restructured and became BAT industries.
- 1994 BAT took over American Tobacco to acquire the Lucky Strike and Pall Mall brands.
- 1999 BAT merged with Rothmans International.
- 2003 BAT bought Italy’s state run Ente Tabacchi Italiani (ETI) S.p.A
- 2003 BAT took over Serbia’s Duvanska Industrija Vranje (DIV)
- 2008 BAT took over Tekel, a Turkish tobacco company
- 2008 BAT took over the cigarette division of the Scandinavian Tobacco Company
- 2009 BAT acquired Bentoel Group, an Indonesian company
Major British American Tobacco Brands
- Lucky Strike
- Pall Mall
- State Express 555
- British American Tobacco p.l.c.
- Globe House
- 4 Temple Place
- WC2R 2PG
- Tel. +44 207 845 1000
- Web: www.bat.com
British American Tobacco Company Registrar
The share registrar for British American Tobacco is Computershare Investor Services PLC:
- Computershare Investor Services PLC
- Bridgwater Road
- BS99 6ZY
- Tel: 0800 408 0094 (UK)
- Overseas Number: +44 870 889 3159
- Fax: 0870 703 6106
- TextPhone: 0870 702 0005
- Email: Web.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.computershare.com/uk/investor/bri
British American Tobacco Dividend Payments
Dividends can be paid direct into your bank account. UK residents can join the Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) and have their cash dividend automatically reinvested for shares.
BAT pays 2 dividends each year, an interim dividend generally pays around 25% of the total annual dividend, the final dividend payment paying the remaining 75% (generally somewhere between 70% and 80%). The interim dividend pays in September and th final dividend pays in May.