BT Group plc. is the original UK telecommunications company and the oldest telecommunications business in the world. Until 1984 it was a state run company which originally was a part of the telegraph service and then became a part of the General Post Office. In 1980 Post Office Telecommunications was renamed British Telecom. In 1984 BT shares first listed on the stock exchange when it was privatised.
2001 BT Rights Issue
Following the British dotcom crash BT raised new funds through a of rights issues which raised £5.9 billion. This is still the largest British rights issue to date.
Takeovers and Mergers
In 2005 BT started to expand its overseas operations by means of several takeovers. It bought El Segundo, a California business which has since been redranded as BT Infonet.
It also bought Italy’s Albacom and acquired a Reuters owned business called Radianz, renamed BT Radianz.
BT has also moved into retail. In 2006 it bought Dabs.com, a popular online electronics store.
BT also now owns some ISP (Internet service providers). In 2007 it bought PlusNet plc. and International Network Services Inc., a US ISP company and Comsat, a South American corporate ISP.
In 2008 BT moved into Silicon Valley by acquiring Ribbit “Silicon Valley’s First Phone Company”.
BT Group consists of several subdivisions;
- BT Retail: Provides home telephone and Internet services
- BT Wholesale: Provides business and corporate services
- Openreach: Openreach manages the physical network to all telecommunications and ISPs.
- BT Global Services: Previously called BT Ignite and BT Syntegra
- Group operations: Security, research and development
- BT Operate – Maintenance of BT’s new IP based fixed-line network, known as 21st Century Network (21C).
- BT Innovate and Design – Mostly IT developers working on the new 21C network.
- BT Correspondence Centre
- Providence Row
- Durham DH98 1BT
- Web: www.btplc.com
Private shareholders can contact BT through the shareholders portal page: Shareholder services in the UK
BT Group Registrars
- Equiniti Aspect House
- Spencer Road
- West Sussex BN99 6DA
- Textphone: Freefone 0800 169 6907
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BT Group Dividend Payments
BT pays a dividend twice per year. Although dates vary payment is usually in February and September. The latest dividend information can be found on their website; www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/Dividends/Dividends.htm