3i Group plc is an international private equity and venture capital business based in London. 3i focuses on 3 core areas:
- Private Equity
- Debt Management
3i was founded in 1945 by the Bank of England and backed by the government to provide investment funds for SMEs to aid economic growth during the post war period.
3i expanded throughout the last century incorporating its sister company Finance Corporation for Industry. It was renamed Investors In Industry and then simply known as 3i.
3i Group Plc was created in 1987 when the investing banks sold their shares to allow the company to float on the London Stock Exchange. 3i had an initial market capitalisation of £1.5 billion.
3i Group’s Major Investments
3i Group has made many business investments over the years and now controls several varied businesses, including:
- Agent Provocateur: A lingerie business.
- Bestinvest: An independent financial advisory and wealth management business.
- Fairline Boats: A builder of exclusive boats and yachts
- GO Outdoors – the UK’s largest camping and outdoor retailer
- Foster and Partners: 3i own a part of this London based architectural business
- NCP: 3i once fully own National Car Parks but has sold off some of its assets
- Scandlines: 3i and Allianz Capital Partners have shared ownership of this German-Danish ferry company.
- Stork Materials Testing: 3i owns the materials and testing group of Stork B.V.
3i Company Details
16 Palace Street, London,
T: +44 (0)20 7928 3131
Place of incorporation: England and Wales
Registered number: 1142830
3i Group plc is an investment company as defined by s266 of the Companies Act 1985
Equinity manage the shareholder register.
- Equiniti Limited
- Aspect House
- Spencer Road
- West Sussex
- BN99 6DA
- Tel: 0871 384 2031
3i Shares and Dividends
3i pays 2 dividends each year, and interim and final dividend. Shareholders can have their dividends paid direct into their bank accounts or by cheque.
3i has a dividend reinvestment plan. Contact Equiniti for details.
3i dividend calculator and historic payments: www.3igroup.com/share-info/dividend-history-and-calculator.html